This Kikkoman Teriyaki-marinated chicken breast topped with grilled sweet onion and pineapple drizzled with additional teriyaki sauce and sandwiched between super soft Hawaiian hamburger buns brought back such sweet memories of my recent GT2023 to Kauai. Mahalo for the inspo, Delta Darlings. Sure hope you all enjoy this terrific taste of Hawaii, my friends!
- Transfer chicken breasts to cutting board and cover with parchment.
- Pound chicken breasts with rolling pin to a thickness of one inch and cut each into two equal pieces, to make four chicken burgers total.
- Transfer pounded chicken breasts to covered glass container and pour half of the teriyaki sauce over to cover. Stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat barbecue grill to 350 degrees.
- Split buns and brush with melted butter.
- Slide two long toothpicks into onion slices to secure.
- Brush pineapple slices and onion slices on both sides with olive oil.
- Transfer chicken breasts, onion slices and pineapple slices to preheated grill.
- Grill chicken for 7 1/2 minutes, then flip, brush with additional teriyaki sauce and continue grilling for an additional 7 1/2 minutes. Remove from grill, tent with foil, and let rest.
- Check onion and pineapple slices and flip when nicely grilled on one side.
- Briefly grill hamburger buns for a few minutes.
- Assemble Hawaiian Teriyaki Chicken Burgers to Love by laying out lightly grilled hamburger bun heels, drizzling with teriyaki sauce, then topping with grilled chicken, pineapple slice, grilled onion and lightly grilled bun crown drizzled with teriyaki sauce.
Slice in half with sharp knife, and enjoy!